The Grampian region of Scotland is home to more working distilleries than the rest of Scotland’s put together. Aberdeen, Grampian’s capital city is the best place to begin your Scottish whisky experience. There is a long tradition of Scottish Whisky making in the Grampian Highlands - especially in the Speyside area. Here you will find a fabulous Malt Whisky Trail which includes eight different distilleries each with their own special feature as well as a cooperage.
Many of the working distilleries have visitor centres which allow you to delve deep into the art, processes and history of whisky. Liz Gordon, our groups coordinator can arrange a whisky experience over one or several days. Liz will arrange visitor centre and distillery entry and admission, transportation or route maps, translators and make recommendations for where to eat along the way – everything you need to ensure that you experience whisky galore!
(*Whisky tours can be organised for groups of 5+ guests and advance notice is required)
Here is a selection of distilleries in Aberdeen and Grampian:
- Ardmore: you may not have heard of Ardmore but you will probably have tasted it because it is a common ingredient in many top-selling whiskies. Located in Kennethmont it is within 30 minute’s drive of Skene House.
- Glenfiddich, based in Dufftown, is the world’s largest-selling, and most-awarded, malt and the big sister to Balvenie Whisky
- Glengarioch , is only half an hour’s drive from each Skene House is one of Scotland’s oldest distilleries.
- Royal Lochnagar is the only whisky with Royal connections located in Crathie about 40 minute’s drive of each Skene House.
Whisky Tastings: For private Whisky tastings for groups contact Whisky tutor, Gordon Muir.
- Scotland’s Malt Whisky Trail – the only malt whisky trail in the world.
- Scotch Whisky – the definitive guide to Scotch Whisky.
- Uisge - a site for whisky-lovers worldwide.
If you are travelling as a group we offer a complimentary service of helping you organise your Whisky itinerary around the local area. For more information on group Whisky tours please contact email@example.com, or call +44 (0) 1224 659 293+44 (0) 1224 659 293.
If you have a dual interest in whisky and castles we can help guests coordinate two one-day Whisky and Castle Discovery Tours to Crathes Castle and Fettercairn Distillery, Ballindalloch Castle and Strathisla or Glenlivet Distillery.